Top Ten Chick Flicks

October 2, 2012

We’ve all been there. It’s a rainy Friday night, you’re alone, it’s been a long week, and you just don’t want to put on pants.

Time for a chick flick.

I don’t know about you, but I’m picky when it comes to chick flicks. I’m not one of those girls who can watch any J-Lo or Patrick Dempsy love triangle. I want substance. I want wit. I want to cry good, hearty tears.

Truthfully, it was hard to make this list. Not only are there so many to choose from, but some movies just don’t fit. For example, I wanted to choose Juno, but Juno isn’t really a chick flick, it’s more of a comedy. Same goes for Dan In Real Life, Bridesmaids and The Parent Trap. They are all movies I love, but none of them really fit the genre.

Then there are the Christmas movies. Love Actually, Little Women and The Family Stone are already on my Top Ten Christmas Movies list so I had to leave them out too. I felt bad, but I have boundaries. Every list needs boundaries. Life lesson.

As a side-note, let it be known that the term “chick flicks” is very misleading. I happen to know a guy who loves a few of these movies very, very much. Especially movies including Hugh Grant. You know who you are.

Anyway, here are my top ten choices for a rainy Friday night, without pants, in no particular order.

Happy Tuesday.

#1

In 10 Words or Less

Boy meets celebrity girl and also has hilarious housemate. British.

Quotable

Anna Scott: After all… I’m just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Trailer

YouTube Preview Image

See it on Amazon.

#2

In 10 Words or Less

12 years of “can a man and woman be friends?”

Quotable

Harry Burns: I love that you get cold when it’s 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you’re looking at me like I’m nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it’s not because I’m lonely, and it’s not because it’s New Year’s Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.

Most Famous Scene

YouTube Preview Image

See it on Amazon.

#3

In 10 Words or Less

Hot guy falls for career driven boss. Really cute dog.

Quotable

Andrew Paxton: Three days ago, I loathed you. I used to dream about you getting hit by a cab. Then we had our little adventure up in Alaska and things started to change. Things changed when we kissed. And when you told me about your tattoo. Even when you checked me out when we were naked. But I didn’t realize any of this, until I was standing alone… in a barn… wifeless. Now, you could imagine my disappointment when it suddenly dawned on me that the woman I love is about to be kicked out of the country. So Margaret, marry me, because I’d like to date you.

Trailer

YouTube Preview Image

See it on Amazon.

#4

In 10 Words or Less

Southern ladies making jokes and falling in love despite themselves.

Quotable

Ouiser Boudreaux: Yes, Annelle, I pray! Well, I do! There, I said it, I hope you’re satisfied.
Annelle:
I suspected this all along!
Ouiser Boudreaux:
Oh! Well don’t you expect me to come to one of your churches or one of those tent-revivals with all those Bible-beaters doin’ God-only-knows-what! They’d probably make me eat a live chicken!
Annelle:
Not on your first visit!

Trailer

YouTube Preview Image

Buy it for Amazon.

#5

In 10 Words or Less

Rich guys falls in love with hooker. Drama ensues.

Quotable

Old Lady at Opera: “Did you like the opera, dear?”
Vivian: “It was so good, I almost peed my pants!”
Edward: “She said she liked it better than Pirates of Penzance.”

Trailer

YouTube Preview Image

Buy it for Amazon.

#6

In 10 Words or Less

Small bookstore owner falls in love with nemesis, unintentionally, online.

Quotable

Kathleen Kelly: Sometimes I wonder about my life. I lead a small life – well, valuable, but small – and sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it, or because I haven’t been brave? So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn’t it be the other way around? I don’t really want an answer. I just want to send this cosmic question out into the void.

Trailer

YouTube Preview Image

Buy it for Amazon.

#7

In 10 Words or Less

90s version of Emma.

Quotable

Cher: Everything I think and everything I do is wrong. I was wrong about Elton, I was wrong about Christian, and now Josh hated me. It all boiled down to one inevitable conclusion, I was just totally clueless.

Trailer

YouTube Preview Image

See it on Amazon.

#8

In 10 Words or Less

Dad remarries. No one likes her. Mom gets sick. Tears.

Quotable

Isabel: Look down the road to her wedding. I’m in a room alone with her, fixing her veil, fluffing her dress, telling her no woman has ever looked so beautiful. And my fear is she’ll think, “I wish my mom were here.”
Jackie Harrison: And my fear is… she won’t.

Trailer

YouTube Preview Image

Buy it for Amazon.

#9

In 10 Words or Less

Old fashioned tearjerker about when a man loves a woman.

Quotable

Noah: If you’re a bird I’m a bird.

Trailer

YouTube Preview Image

See it on Amazon.

#10

In 10 Words or Less

Old friends continue to grow and be fabulous New Yorkers

Quotable

Carrie Bradshaw: What makes you think something bad is gonna happen?
Charlotte York: Because! Nobody gets everything they want! Look at you, look at Miranda. You’re good people and you two both got shafted. I’m so happy and… something bad is going to happen.
Carrie Bradshaw: Sweetie, you shit your pants this year. I think you’re done.

Trailer

YouTube Preview Image

See it on Amazon

You’ve seen mine, now show me yours. Do you agree? Disagree?

What are YOUR favorite chick flicks?

Runners up: Now & Then, Something’s Gotta Give, Dirty Dancing, Valentine’s Day, She’s All That, How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days, In Her Shoes, The Devil Wears Prada, He’s Just Not That Into You, Definitely Maybe, and, of course, Runaway Bride.

62 thoughts on “Top Ten Chick Flicks

1. dr perfection

reese witherspoon being the ditzy lawyer wearing pink and carrying around her little dog–can’t remember the title

2. Hannah

I agree with you and thankfully have seen almost all of these… I can see you like Julia Roberts too! She is basically one of the best, ever! I can watch You’ve Got Mail over and over again and it doesn’t get old which is the sign of a good movie to me.
    And I totally agree with you… it has to have substance. I get tired of the other kind very fast!

3. Meg G

Absolutely agree with #1 – LOVE Notting Hill. I love anything English/British and could watch this movie every day. I visited Notting Hill two years ago and it made me love this movie even more!
    And then your Stepmom quote, teared up.
    And then your Sex & the City quote – laughing.
    Good post to elicit a range of emotions by a simple movie list.

I’m also a sucker for Italy, so one of my favorites is Under the Tuscan Sun with Diane Lane. Plus Something Borrowed and Sweet Home Alabama.

4. Dara

Heh I just watched Clueless last week for the first time since high school :p My favorite ones tend to be any sort Jane Austen type flick: The two versions of Pride and Prejudice, Emma, Sense and Sensibility, etc. I suppose they may be on the line of drama more than chick flick but I know I couldn’t get my husband to watch those if his life depended on it :p

Also if you want a good romance with tears and substance, there’s also Becoming Jane. It’s a little sad but still a great movie.

5. Ciara

“when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.”
    This was the tagline to our wedding!

My chick flick list sampler- Terms of endearment, The Notebook, The Vow, City of Angels
    Very different to my feel good list of Juno, Dan in Real Life, Away we Go, Little Miss Sunshine.
    I guess I go to tears for chick flick…

6. Beth Ann

Great list! I used to be able to quote Clueless word for word. I don’t know if I’m proud of that or embarrassed. I would have to add “Just Married” with Ashton Kutcher & Brittany Murphy (RIP :( ) – one of my all time favorites. So funny. “I love beig stuck in a snowball with you.” Also, “A Lot Like Love” with Ashton Kutcher & Amanda Peet.

Oh, I forgot about Just Married! So funny. I’ve seen it a half a dozen times, it never gets old. “Sure could use a dodge right about now…”

Ashton is my celebrity crush, so basically I love everything he’s in. I think he was in a recent one…No Strings Attached? Loved.

7. kim

GREAT list (including your runners-ups). You’ve Got Mail is my favorite – any movie that takes NYC through all four seasons is perfect. I’d also add About A Boy and Heathers.

8. Erin

I really have a thing for It’s Complicated. Great music, favorite actors. It’s my go-to.

And I know it’s a period film, but I’d include Sense and Sensibility (The Emma Thompson/Kate Winslet version). I include this film based on how much I love it and Jeff loathes it.

9. Danielle

Best list ever. I’d have to add Sweet Home Alabama, A Walk To Remember,
    Never Been Kissed, P.S. I Love You and The Women
    Feel goods: Father of the Bride, A Little Princess and Julie & Julia

I have no idea how you narrowed it down to ten because there are SO MANY good ones! I’m feeling a marathon coming on.

1. meggs9290

I have to second the PS I love you. One of my absolute all time could watch it forever always makes me cry favorites.

10. Margo, Thrift at Home

I love While You Were Sleeping, although it’s been a while since I watched it so maybe it doesn’t have substance? and 27 Dresses (that guy, James something, is SO HOT) even though the plot is a little dorky. I also loved that Cinderella remake, Ever After.

I should watch The Notebook? The books are beyond sappy, so I just wrote the movie off, but if you’re recommending it. . . .

11. Leah@ Floral + Ivory

Best List Ever. Love that Julia Roberts is all over it. And I know The Holiday is technically a Christmas movie, but I watch it year round — Jude Law will make you cry — “I’m a major weeper” said in oh-so-sexy British accent. And dear lord, please bless me with two little British speaking children..even though I’m American.

12. Anonymous

Oh my! I need a movie fest, now! 13 going on 30, pride and prejudice, away we go, just married, mean girls, sense and sensibility, the hot chick, anne of green gables, clueless, and pathetically, made of honor….now!

I thought about Mean Girls but I feel like it’s just too funny to put on this list. Definitely one of my favorite movies ever though. Anne of Green Gables, classic. It’s on my Top Ten Children’s Movies. I love it every time.

13. Lanette

So many great movies! Here’s some more…Elizabeth Gaskell’s North and South and the 2006 BBC Jane Eyre.

p.s. mildly obsessed with Dan in Real Life.

14. Kimberly

I just watched Notting Hill last weekend. That has to be one of the best movies ever made. Funny and perfectly sweet. The end scene? I lose it every time.

15. WhitMc

Dear Lord, woman, you hit them all. Nottinghill is my husband’s favorite movie :) You’ve Got Mail is like comfort food to me. Yes, yes and yes. Oh and Love Actually, TOTALLY a Christmas movie. I got misty just reading the quote from Stepmom.

16. Elizabeth

I love this list. My addition would have to be Titanic. Leo was gorgeous. Kate was gorgeous. There was love and there was tragedy. When I watch it now, I cry through nearly every scene.

17. heidi72580

Great List! So many of these movies have such classic story lines. I totally forgot about Steel Magnolias. Great movie! Father of the Bride is another great chick flick. I think it may have been mentioned above, but it really does evoke some tears every time I watch it. Also, I agree with Kim’s comment above. There is something about You’ve Got Mail and Sex and the City both going through the 4 seasons in NYC that makes me feel complete after watching them. Also, Ima just gonna say that in making the suggestion of Sex & the City on the book of faces, I wrote Sex IN the City. Oops, that’s embarrassing. :)

Book of faces! Hah!

Take heart in the fact that 1) I originally published this post having written Sex In The City and 2) I always refer to it as Sex In The City. For some reason that’s the way it makes sense in my brain.

18. Courtney

The changing leaves and your list make me want to watch You’ve Got Mail. Maybe I should make myself a bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils first.

19. Megan

I have to agree with whoever posted about The Holiday. I watch it at least twice a year. My all time favorite movie is Elizabethtown with Orlando Bloom. You could consider it a chick flick, but not really.

Also, The Wedding Date with Debra Messing and Dermot Mulroney. It is wonderful. I definitely recommend it. No Reservations is also wonderful.
    You can’t forget Maid of Honor with Patrick Dempsey. That’s a tear jerker.
    I also enjoy New in Town.

Let’s just say, I’ve seen my fair share of chick flicks. Though I’ve only seen 7 out of 10 on your list. Looks like I’ve got a few movies to watch.

1. Katie D

I was pondering this myself after I saw that someone suggested it on FB. It does have an epic love story, but I just don’t know if I could consider something to truly be a chick flick when it has sword-fighting and that whole R.O.U.S. scene!

20. Anonymous

Although no tears, I could watch Bridget Jones’ Diary any day. Basically, I could watch Colin Firth all day every day.

21. Pingback: Top Ten New Mom Gifts | Motley Mama