Learn To Run: Day 23

April 23, 2012

Two things:

1) I learned how to run.

2) I still hate running.

I don’t know what I thought would happen exactly. I suppose in my dreamiest of dreams, I would take off one day and realize that moving my legs and flapping my arms is, indeed, exhilarating. Instead I found myself cursing the day I started this blog and this project and wanting to quit after three solid days of not being able to fall asleep at night due to soreness.

Realistically, I know it would take months of slow training, hard work, and (gasp) discipline to achieve the status of “runner.” I also know that due to some previous injuries, my knees might just fall right out of their sockets if I became a track star. I guess I just hoped to prove myself wrong.

If you’re wondering, I did manage to run every day. Well, almost every day. I skipped out on Easter Sunday and then three other days due to inclement weather (every day I prayed for rain).

I lost zero pounds, gained zero pounds, and increased my running time by exactly three songs.

There were some setbacks. For example, our jogging stroller was broken for two weeks. Have you every tried jogging with an umbrella stroller? People stare. There was also the weekend I had the kind of intense “woman pain” that lands you on the couch with a heat pack and a series of texts to your spouse that involve “I’m dying” and “Can you please make me a grilled cheese?” I still managed to run, however. This was my greatest triumph.

Admittedly, there were a few moments I did enjoy the whole ordeal. One time a van full of moms slowed and gave me the thumbs up, another time it started raining and, thanks to my overactive imagination, I pretended I was running from zombies. Mostly I enjoyed the first 30 seconds of running; the wind in my hair, the air in my lungs, the exhilaration of the first beats of a great song.

From the beginning, Austin has been against the April goal, citing multiple sources who say that running isn’t actually all that great for you. Brisk walking is what I should be doing, every day, no matter what.

Okay.

Things that give me hope

1) My sister. We walk every day at 4:30. Having someone to hold me accountable works.

2) This chick (I’ve linked to her before, but if you haven’t read her exercise/weight loss story–do).

3) Waylon. He treats the stroller as his personal limo service.

Cheers to May.

19 thoughts on “Learn To Run: Day 23

1. Dara

I hate running. Won’t do it. Ever.

I do take walks with Tommy though. Maybe not as brisk as they should be, but I try to go almost two miles every day. Well, when it’s not crappy weather.

2. jamie

Love this honest post! I’m glad you tried. It’s better to say you tried, which I guess is the point of all of this!

3. Gina R.

I had to scroll down so I wouldn’t have to look at that girl. I love that you entitled it “Nope.” hahaha

4. shelah n

Oh dear! Al would have a fit,
    He is adamant about not running more than three days a week for the first couple months (?)
    You have got to give your body time to recuperate and rebuild!
    But I am with you there about the ‘hate it’ part.
    Me too.
    And no, you most likely will not loose weight. (unless you drastically change your diet too)
    Three tips: A: obtain some athletic clothes that you feel you look decent in – great emotional boost. And
    B: never wear underwear [under the running shorts or pants] Maybe you already know that, but I didn’t and find it a great freedom and more comfortable.
    C: read Chris McDougall’s: Born To Run. You don’t have to do the barefoot thing but he certainly is inspiring. (author lives here in Lancaster)

Athletic clothes–yes! I did much better on the days I felt I looked better, and a hearty yes to no underwear!

I’ve heard a lot of great things about Born To Run. I’ll check it out of the library! Thanks S.

2. Jess

Yes!! Born to Run was such a fascinating read!!
      Kate – that is awesome that you met this goal. Check!
      Ditto to the not running every day – at the most, I only run 4 days a week. Any more and I think I’d burn out.
      I had to re-visit running about 5 separate times over the past 10 years for it to finally click and be enjoyable. And, even if it never does, you still rock. Walking is also great exercise.
      I love that a van full of moms cheered you on. It’s the little things.

5. Meagan@ Green Motherhood

I’m with you.
    I did the couch to 5k program last summer because one of my goals when I became a stay at home mom was to be a runner (because that’s what we SAHM moms do, right? Look cute while running with our jogging strollers?) and I h.a.t.e.d.i.t. Every second. I would make deals with myself the whole time trying to convince myself to keep going.
    I’m proud of myself for now being able to run for 5-10 minutes without dying (when before it was max 1 min.) but, I dont love it. And it makes my butt too big to fit into my jeans.
    Gonna stick with the Pilates and yoga. That makes me feel good. (have you tried that? Maybe you’d like it more than running)

SAHM moms are crazy with their crazy matchy work out clothes and tight butts and jogging strollers (and perfect children, etc, etc).

Pilates and yoga, yes. That’s probably what I should be doing.

6. Suz

regardless, i’m proud of you. it was hard and you stuck with it, now it’s over and i hope you stop because i can’t stand the thought of you missing MORE sleep over something self inflicted. A round of cheers to “brisk walking.”

7. Erin

Props for you to even think about making that a goal! I’ve tried so many times in my life to learn to like running. I’ve bought cute running clothes, fun looking wrist watches with timers on it, new bright colored shoes to get me pumped. I even bought a pedometer and downloaded an app n my phone to let me know how far I’ve ran. Just doesn’t work! So seriously…props.
    xoxo
    peacelovedecor.com

8. Shannon

No, no no! No cheers to May. May is no internet. How will the blogging world laugh without you?

Proud of you for your running goals, and all of these blogging goals for that matter. Your committment is inspiring.