Sometimes I make great meals, other times Baby Daddy opens the fridge only to find flaxseed, breastmilk, and a jar of pickles.
I made this casserole a few weeks ago and I’m just now coming around to sharing it with you all. My mother-in-law made it up, so you know it will be good.
Austin and I are not big fans of egg casseroles. Too often they are bland or heavy in soggy bread. This recipe, however, is top notch. It’s also a great way to use up a bread fail, which for me–happens all the time.
If you love zucchini, don’t be shy about adding more than this recipe calls for (I did). You won’t regret it.
Valeries’s Summer Egg Casserole
1) Fry and drain 4-5 slices of bacon (optional: reserve fat)
2) Place the following in greased 7×11 pan:
+ 7 slices of bread, cubed and crusts removed
+ 1 1/2 c. grated cheddar cheese
3) Saute the following in 1-2 T oil (or reserved bacon fat) and spread over bread/cheese mixture:
+ 1/2 c. onion
+ 1 whole, diced red pepper
+ 1-2 c. thinly sliced chopped zucchini
4) Blend together and pour over:
+ 3 c. milk
+ 6 eggs
+ 1 t ground mustard
+ 1/2 t salt
+ 1/4 t pepper
5) Sprinkle chopped bacon over top
6) Cover and refrigerate overnight (8 hours)
7) Remove and let set 30 minutes
8) Place in 325 degree oven and bake 45-60 minutes or til set in center
9) Let set 10 minutes before cutting
10) Enjoy (and then maybe think about cleaning up your disgusting kitchen)