A few weeks ago I asked Baby Daddy for some Brief Fatherly Input with success and so I decided to ask (soon to be) first time grandparents Dave and Melanie Baker for some input as well. I sent them a list of 10 questions, here are their responses. Thanks Mom and Dad!
1. How old were you when you had your first kid? Math is hard.
DB: 25 I think.
MB: You were born in 1985 – I was 24.
2. What’s the best part about having kids?
DB: They get things for you so you don’t have to leave your easy chair. Also, they are an extension of who you are…so it’s wonderful to see them develop into their own person.
MB: I love all the parts about having your own family and creating a history together like Christmas mornings, birthday parties, new kittens, snuggles and hugs, butterfly kisses and someone calling you “mommy.”
3. Are you excited to be grandparents?
DB: Yes and no.
MB: Completely psyched out of my mind.
4. Any special thoughts about having a grandson in particular?
DB: He will be a hunter and will be able to pee in places most girls cannot.
MB: Even more hunting talk to come … sigh…
5. What are you most looking forward to?
DB: Reading him scary books and telling him what his mother did when she was a baby.
MB: Baby breath and little bitty toes.
6. Any predictions about the arrival of Baby Baer?
DB: None….he will come when he is ready.
MB: If he’s anything like his mother, it will be dramatic.
7. Is labor really that terrible?
DB: I haven’t a clue. It looks and sounds quite painful to me. Excuse me…I am getting sick and need to sit down now.
8. Any helpful suggestions for new parents?
DB: Love him with all your being and raise him to love God with all his heart, mind and soul.
MB: Amen! And let him be his own person even if he hates hunting and sports.
9. Any helpful name suggestions?
DB: Thaddeus Paul
MB: Quentin Austin Baer
10. What is your greatest wish for Baby Baer?
DB: That he would be the splitting image of his grand pappy.
MB: That he loves God, his family, and his vocation (and in that order).